Saturday, February 22, 2014

Interdisciplinary research: my Guardian article

The Guardian's Higher Education Network recently published my article on interdisciplinary research from an early-career researcher's point of view, and what the trend means for our future careers. Based on discussions in real life and on social media, I suspected I wasn't the only one with concerns about this, but I was still surprised by how many positive responses I got from others in the same situation. Clearly this is something we need to talk about.

There were some interesting comments from researchers in other fields (apparently this is just as much an issue in arts and humanities as in science), and in other countries (some suggested the narrow focus of the UK university system might be part of the problem).

It was also curious to see that there was much more of a response and discussion on Twitter than in the 'below the line' comments on the article itself. Maybe that says something about the future of comments?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home